This is one of our favorite meals after a long, cold day.
(in ten simple steps)
- Butter one side of each slice of bread (2 for each sandwich). We use Three Baker’s, Gluten Free Ancient Grain bread and we butter it frozen so it doesn’t pull apart.
- Place bread, butter side down, in pan, with “head” facing center of heated pan (medium/high)
- Squirt mustard ( We like Dijon) onto the non-buttered side
- Begin to layer sandwiches
- One layer of Swiss cheese
- One generous layer of pastrami (shaved at the deli)
- One layer of sauerkraut ( We make our own; if you don’t make it yourself, it is best to use a cultured sauerkraut like Bubbies)
- Another layer of cheese
- Place the top on the sandwich in the pan , with “head” facing the center of your pan.
- By now, the bottom of your sandwiches should be browned nicely. Check . When browned, turn the sandwiches carefully and put a lid on the pan to help the cheese to melt. Turn down the heat to low. Check. When the 2nd side is browned and the cheese is melted, your sandwich is done and ready to eat.
Enjoy with soup!